Investments and Plan Updates
Most clients first begin working with me as part of an hourly engagement, either with the creation of a financial plan or holding a financial planning consultation meeting. After our initial work together is done, you are welcome to continue working with me on an hourly basis or inquire about becoming an investment management client.
Investment management clients receive professional asset management, updates to existing financial plans and deeper support without having to think about hourly costs. Fees for investment management services are based upon a percentage of investment assets using the table below.
Please note that if you recently completed a financial plan with me, you are eligible for a reduced investment managment fee during the first four quarters after a financial plan has been delivered to you.
Benefits of Investment Management
- Knowing that your plan is being put into action
- Tracking progress towards goals
- Updates to existing financial plans
- Reducing taxes using tax-loss harvesting
- Recommending solutions to financial challenges as they arise
- Providing reminders on important deadlines such as required distributions
- Coordinating with your CPA, attorney, and insurance agent
- Saving you time by reducing paperwork
- Not having to think about hourly planning costs
|Investment Management Fee Schedule|
|Total Portfolio Value||Annual Advisory Fee*|
$0 to $500,000
|$500,000 to $1,000,000||.90%|
|$1,000,000 to $2,000,000|
|$2,000,000 to $3,000,000||.70%|
|$3,000,000 to $4,000,000||.60%|
|$4,000,000 to $5,000,000||.50%|
|Assets over $5,000,000||.40%|
*Minimum investable assets to qualify for asset management is $500,000
Plan Updates for Hourly Clients
After our initial financial planning engagement, those who prefer to continue working with me on an hourly basis receive up to 30 minutes of complimentary time during the first 30 days after the initial financial plan has been delivered. Beyond the earlier of 30 days or 30 minutes, our work together becomes billable on an hourly basis measured in six-minute increments with partial increments billed as a whole.
See FAQ for my current hourly rate.
Fees for Quick Questions
I will send you an invoice at the end of the month for the time that is used.
Fees for Plan Updates
If it has been a year since we created your original financial plan and the complexity of your situation has not changed, the time needed will usually be approximately half the amount of time needed for our original work together. If two or more years have passed since we last created or updated your financial plan, the time required will likely be similar to your original plan. If we are only updating your investments, the time needed will usually be half the time needed to update your overall plan.
There are three ways that we can approach fee estimates for plan updates.
- You can use the information above as a rough estimate.
- At the start of the project, you can provide me with a cap on how long I can spend working on the plan update. I will do the best work I can using the time that you have allowed.
- Finally, I can provide you with a fee estimate based upon your current situation and needs. In contrast to an initial financial plan, I count the time spent producing a fee estimate as billable time because of the amount of work that goes into reviewing your prior plan and understanding the changes to your situation to arrive at an estimate.